Subwoofers are the speakers that are meant for producing low-frequency sounds. It adds power to the bass notes, sound effects and other low-frequency noises. The subwoofers are of two types: Passive subwoofers and Active subwoofers. The passive subwoofers have speakers only. The Active or Powered subwoofers have a subwoofer and built-in amplifiers enclosed in an enclosure. They don’t need to attach a separate amp.
The Powered subwoofers are compact in size and hence slightly less powerful than passive subwoofers. These subwoofers have a small price tag. The Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosures are minuscule and can be easily installed in deep spaces. These subwoofers are commonly used for installing in smaller cars or with less powerful batteries. The powered subwoofers are portable and hence easy to install and remove.
Working of Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosure: –
The audio source component sends a low-frequency signal to the powered subwoofer unit. The built-in amplifier receives increases the signal before sending it to the speaker. This signal is in the form of AC which continuously changes its direction. This current then follows through an electromagnetic coil surrounded by a stationary magnet. This alternating current changes the polarity of the coil and creates a flux of attraction and repulsion with the stationary magnet. This flux causes the movement of the coil back and forth which in turn makes the cone move attached to it. This cone ultimately sends the sound waves out through the air.
Pros of Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosure: –
• Convenience: – Matching the power of an amplifier to the subwoofer and then accommodating it into a pre-made enclosure is a complicated and time taking process. The powered subwoofer is a solution to this problem. It includes a subwoofer combined with an amplifier and placed in an enclosure. The subwoofer and the amplifier are optimised to each other and placed in the proper enclosure. Therefore it is only a game of plug and play.
• Cost-Effectiveness: – The powered subwoofers have a small price tag and are cheaper than the traditional subwoofers.
• Easy to install: – Car powered subwoofers are easy to install and are paired directly to the head unit.
• Compactness and Space Saving: -These subwoofers are small in size and can easily be accommodated in quiet space. These subwoofers are perfect for smaller cars.
• Reduced Weight: -Powered subwoofers come within the pre-enclosed cabinet and have less weight.
Cons of the Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosure: –
• Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosures usually have many advantages, but it has some disadvantages also.
• The amplifiers in the powered subwoofers are of lower quality than the external speakers.
• These subwoofers have small drivers, and hence the sound produced will not be powerful enough and produces less boom.
• Consumers can only get the common brands of the subwoofers and the amplifiers in Powered Subwoofers. You can’t make a choice for subwoofer or external amplifier.
Some of the best Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosures in the market are: –
Click here buy best car subwoofers under $500.